Gage or gauge

Sens4 Knowledge content



In the measurement literature and industry, the words gauge and gage can both be found to describe a pressure sensor or transmitter that measures relative to ambient pressure.


According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary: ”the word gage is a variant spelling of gauge, which in the noun form refers broadly to measurement (“fine-gauge wire”) or a standard by which something is measured (“polls are a good gauge of how voters might vote”).” The Merriam-Webster adds: “Gauge is by far the preferred spelling in general usage for both the noun and the verb; we encourage you use it.”


Gauge has become the most common word to describe a measuring device or a gauge pressure sensor measuring relative to ambient pressure.

To the right, a gauge diaphragm pressure sensor that measures gauge pressure relative to the ambient pressure is illustrated.


For more information about gauge pressure read: What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure sensor

Pressure measurement products from Sens4

■ Ceramic & Steel diaphragm

■ Sanitary flange

■ Programmable features

■ Precision performance


> For more information

Do you have questions or need help configuring the right products?

Sens4 on facebook
Sens4 on LinkedIn
Sens4 on Twitter
Sens4 on Youtube

Our passion | Your value™

Copyright © 2019 - Sens4 A/S

Sens4 A/S | Nordre Strandvej 119G | 3150 Hellebaek | Denmark

Tel: +45 8844 7044 | > Email to Sens4

CVR: 39389029